80g unsalted butter
250g icing sugar
25ml whole milk
1 and a half tsp vanilla essence
- Cream the butter and icing sugar in a free-standing mixer on a low speed it will initally look powdery before becoming a smooth mixture.
- Mix the vanilla essence with the milk in a separate glass or jug (I use a re-purposed Tommy Tippee cup as it has handy volumes on the side).
- With the mixture on a low speed slowly add the vanilla milk.
- Beat the mixture on a high speed for at least 5 minutes
There are lots of different ways to decorate with frosting. You can simply smooth with a palate knife or use piping bags and various nozzles to create lovely effects. The easiest are roses or swirls.
- Use a piping bag with a large closed star tip
- Place the frosting in the bag and twist the top ensuring there are no air pockets trapped. Use gentle pressure from the top of the bag.
- To make a swirl ice the cupcakes in a spiral starting from the outside and working inwards to form a peak.
- At the end of the spiral push down slightly and pull straight up to finish with a peak.
- To make a rose simply start from the centre of the cake and work outwards, pushing down and pulling away at the end instead of upwards.