125g Unsalted butter (softened)
125g Caster sugar
2 Eggs (beaten)
125g Self raising flour
1 tsp Vanilla essence
Splash of whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- To soften the butter you could simply leave it on the side for an hour, but I always forget so I place it in a microwavable bowl and heat in 10 second bursts, removing and mixing each time. The aim is to soften the butter a little not to melt it. If the butter does melt a little, use a fork to mix it back together with the rest of the butter.
- In a freestanding mixer cream the softened butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add the vanilla essence to the beaten egg then slowly add the mixture to the mixer.
- Gradually add the flour while mixing on a slow speed.
- Add the whole milk slowly while mixing by hand until the mixture falls easily from a spoon or spatula.
- Set out the paper cupcake cases in cupcake tins and add the mixture.
- Bake for approx 17 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
I use Vanilla Frosting on my cupcakes.
For other standard recipes click here.