This week’s been pretty hectic, on top of normal kiddy centred life I’ve also been trying to sort through all the fabulous stuff I came back from Blog On with and start arranging to do a few reviews like the Rug doctor that I am so excited to have to clean all my carpets – I’m sad I know! As if that wasn’t enough I’ve also been making a “Marvellous” cake for my husband’s work BBQ on Saturday. They have asked everyone to bring a small desert but, as you might have guessed by now I’m not that good at understated. The company makes the Lego computer games and the latest is Lego Superheroes so I decided to make a cake based on the promotional artwork from the game.
Lately I feel like I’m repeating recipes a little so this post is something a bit different. The cake is a chocolate one with vanilla frosting and if you would like the recipe please look here double the amounts for two layers in a 13 x 9 inch tin. Instead I’m going to attempt to walk you through how I decorated the cake.
Covering the cake:
Before covering the cake in icing I used a cake leveller to give a nice flat surface. It’s basically a cheese wire for cakes and as long as you make sure its set to the same height on either side it works brilliantly.
Once I’d levelled the cake I vanilla frosting (recipe here)between the layers and on the top and sides. I used white ready made fondant to cover the cake.I use a non stick mat to roll out the fondant but grease-proof paper would work if you didn’t have one. Once the fondant was large enough to cover the entire cake I needed to transfer it without tearing. The easiest way I’ve found to do this is t roll up the entire mat and lay it upside down on top of the cake before carefully peeling off the mat. Finally smooth the fondant with an icing smoother and trim off the excess fondant – I find a pizza wheel very handy for doing this.
I then added the base layer of the design to the top of the cake. I kneaded a very small amount of black gel colour through white fondant to give a pale grey colour and used a printout of the artwork as a template. I laid it over the top of the rolled out fondant and used a clean pin to prick out the pattern before cutting it out with a ruler and attaching with edible glue. Can anyone spot what I did wrong??
A 14inch square cake drum, I wanted it to look like a Lego Baseboard so I again kneaded a very small amount of black gel colour through white fondant to give a pale grey colour. I used the same technique to lift the fondant onto the board as shown above, trimmed the edges and used pins to secure a ribbon around the edges. I then used a circle cutter to cut out A LOT of dots and attached them to the covered board with water.
I then lifted the cake onto the board before adding the detail to the top. At least that was the plan. What acually happened was that I set up the photo below and then swore a lot because I’d flipped the fondant when putting it on the cake out of habbit.
Skip forward a few hours and a lot of messing about and you end up with this: