This is a lovely simple recipe to make with the kids. This morning my 2 yr old and 4 yr old made a batch of cookies with minimal help from me – just extra mixing in when needed. I tend to use dark chocolate chunks as I thing the bitterness goes well with the sweet batter but the lovely people from Dr Oetker recently sent us a selection of baking goodies including some yummy looking milk chocolate chunks which we used today. The demerara sugar makes them wonderfully crunchy.
100g Demerara sugar
100g Margarine (or butter)
1 egg beaten
175g self raising flour
1 pack of Dr Oetker Milk (or Dark) Chocolate Chunks
Preheat the oven to 170c
- Cream the margarine and sugar together in a bowl – I let the kids do this with a wooden spoon then finished off with a fork. (we all take turns ;))
- Add the beaten egg and mix until combined.
- Fold in the flour and mix until all the flour is picked up by the biscuit dough. It will be quite sticky.
- Stir in the chocolate chunks
- grease 2 baking trays and add blobs of the mixture, flattening each blob into a disc shape. (unless you’re two – then just push down as hard as you can, drag your fingers though it and the eat as much as you can before mummy takes it off you)
- Cook in the oven at 17c for 15 – 20 minutes or until golden brown.
I’ve been making these cookies for years and they are one of my favourite recipes, crunchy and moorish. The only problem is stopping eating them. As you can see it’s hard to keep the kids’ hands off them. The kids really enjoy recipes that ear easy to do completely by hand so although I use butter for most baking I tend to use marge for these because it is quicker to mix by hand without having to mess about softening the butter.
We were sent some chocolate supplies by Dr Oetker Baking to celebrate the launch of their Great Chocolate Bake competition which has a 1st prize of a trip to New York worth £3000. All you have to do is make a batch of cupcakes using Dr Oetker chocolate and then upload a photo to the competition section on their Facebook page (link above). The competition runs until 17th of October so you still have a few days to enter. My entry will be up shortly, now that we’ve finally got rid of all the illnesses we’ve had over the last month. Happy Baking!
Now they look great – bet they won’t hang around long.
They look great! Cooking with children is so important, thank you for this post.
Stopping by to say hello from the Oliver’s Madhouse hop.
Ohh yummy! x
Choc chip cookies are always a winner with my kids (and husband!)
wow they looks absolutely scrummy!! i always wish i could bake seeing the delicious stuff you cook!
thanks for linking up with #MagicMoments x