This week the Great British Bake Off was all about deserts. I’m not a big fan of trifle so I decided I would make some petit fours for this week’s Great Bloggers Bake Off. It needed to be something quick as we were on holiday until Friday night and then had to unpack, go to two parties, take my son to Tennis and turn my daughter’s cot into a bed over the weekend. Luckily I had some biscuit dough left over from making birthday cookies for my son’s party last week which I had frozen while we were away. I made some tiny flower shaped biscuits and some tinier round biscuits. Once they were baked I melted some good quality milk chocolate and half dipped the biscuits. I added some freeze dried strawberries to the tops of the round biscuits and then made some milk chocolate ganache with the remaining milk chocolate by adding warm double cream (half the volume of the remaining chocolate) to the chocolate and whisking in my free standing mixer. I piped the ganache onto the flower shaped bases and waited for it to set a little. Finally I placed the round biscuits on top to resemble the centre of the flower. (At this point my husband asked if they were meant to look like cats???!!)
The dough recipe is a basic butter biscuit.
175g unsalted butter (softened)
200g caster sugar
2 large eggs (beaten)
1 and a half tsp vanilla extract
450g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
- Cream the butter and sugar in a freestanding mixer or by hand
- Add the vanilla extract to the beaten egg then slowly add to the butter mixture while mixing
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, salt & baking powder
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and mix at a slow speed until combined
- Wrap your dough in cling-film and place in the fridge to cool for at least an hour (freeze half if you like)
- Roll out your dough and use cookie cutters to make whatever shape you love
- Bake at 180c for 8-12 minutes or until slightly golden then cool on wire racks
*Because the petit four biscuits were so tiny they cooked in about 5 minutes.