It was my birthday at the start of this month and although my husband offered to buy me a cake I decided that I’d rather make my own. Last year I made a Giant raspberry and peach cupcake so this year I decided to make a series of smaller cupcakes based on an Alice in Wonderland theme. I did 6 designs with 4 cupcakes each making a total of 24 delicious cupcakes for our tea party.
- White roses being painted red – made by painting a stripe of red food colouring down the inside of the piping bag.
- Cheshire cats – purple and pink frosting piped from the same bag with fondant eyes, ears, mouth and hair added then outlined in black water icing.
- Late white rabbits disappearing down the rabbit hole – frosting grass piped with a grass nozzel with a fondant rabbit bottom, watch and flowers. Details added with pink water icing for the rabbit’s toes and with black food colouring on a cocktail stick to make the details of the clock face.
- Mad hatter’s tea party- made by laying an over large circle of fondant over buttercream and shaping into a table cloth then adding fondant teapot, cup, hat and spilt tea.
- Eat me labeled cakes – Embossing the fondant with a stencil then brushing on edible lustre powder, cutting a circle to fit the cake and smoothing onto frosting to make a dome shape. Fondant labels cut out freehand and labeled Eat Me with black water icing.
- Alice in wonderland pinafore bow – A circle of blue fondant on top f frosting then strips of white fondant shaped into a bow placed on top.